Welcome in Walsingham

The Progamme
The planning was meticulous and the programme for the day just wonderful — then it rained.  My, how it rained.  No doubt in answer to the prayers of the famers of Norfolk, who have been suffering a long Spring drought.  Some said it was Our Lady's tears of joy at the return of so many former Anglicans to the Faith of our Fathers.  Whatever the reason, it rained and rained.  So we got a little wet.  And the day became a little re-organised.  Instead of the Noon Mass having the doors of the great Catholic Pilgrim Chapel open, we were all herded into the one building.  It seats, I would guess, four hundred; by becoming very close friends with our neighbours, and with every space at the sides and back filled with people standing, we managed (again at a guess) five hundred.  Certainly there were more than thirty priests of the Ordinariate, together with a handful of local Catholic priests, who concelebrated with our Ordinary, Msgr Keith Newton.  It was great to hear him pray in the Canon, once more, for Pope Benedict "and me your unworthy servant" … That is a recent decision by Rome, to allow us to name our Ordinary where diocesan priests mention their Bishop.
Lunch, which might have been a time for catching up on old friends, was difficult; we picnicked wherever we could find shelter, on coaches, in cars, and under the few covered walkways around the Shrine.
Eating in the rain
 The Mass was a great triumph; here our Ordinary consults with the locals on just how the rest of the day was to be rejigged.

When the time came for the procession to the Village — the Catholic Shrine has developed around the Slipper Chapel, a mile from the centre of Little Walsingham — the rain had let up, and so we set off, Sisters of the Ordinariate bearing an image of Our Lady of Mercy, servers from Southbourne staggering under the weight of the Image, and Fr Pearson carrying a box containing the names of many of the thousands who have died for their faith, Catholics, Protestants and Anglicans, as we were told.

The Procession followed the route of the former railway line between Fakenham and Walsingham.  Apart from some very deep puddles, and the occasional shower, we managed the mile without incident.  At the end of the line is the old Railway Station, now converted into an Orthodox Chapel.  This is the place to come if you want to see a Station with an onion dome above it.

Orthodox Station

The one major change to the day was that we did not go into the grounds of the ruined Priory.  Instead we made straight for the Anglican Shrine where the pressure of numbers was even greater than before.  There, as in all the other churches, there were masses of flowers.  Methodists, Anglicans and Catholics have all agreed on holding their Flower Festivals over the same weekend.  That act of ecumenical floristry seemed to echo the welcome which we received on all sides.

Bishop Lindsay prepares to welcome us

In particular, Bishop Lindsay Urwin, Administrator of the Anglican Shrine, spoke to us from the heart — and with great difficulty, for he and we were very emotional at this moment. Many of us are old friends, and this was a real home-coming.  Perhaps, too, it was significant that all three bishops of Richborough were in Walsingham over the same weekend.  The newest, Norman Banks, is still looking after Walsingham Parish, so  it was perhaps understandable that he did not appear during our Pilgrimage.  He was busy with the flower festival, which was celebrating fifty years since the fire almost destroyed the parish church — the flames of Gladioli and dyed Pampas Grass were amazingly effective.

His immediate predecessor as Bishop of Richborough is, of course, Msgr Keith Newton, our Ordinary.  Before both of them I had that title for six years; now I assist the Ordinariate Group which worships in Southbourne; here are some of us gathered outside the Anglican Shrine with, in the centre, our Pastor, Fr Graham Smith.

Southbourne Pilgrims

Some of us managed to get to the Methodist Chapel in the Village, where they too were sharing in the festival of flowers.  The display that greeted you on arrival commemorated the Vision to the Lady Richeldis 950 years ago.

Walsingham Methodist Chapel

They also, of course, made mention of the visit of John Wesley to Walsingham and the building of their Chapel (only three years after John Wesley's death).  Very movingly, though, they too had a commemoration of the fire in 1961, with a display of flowers around a fireman's helmet worn by a firefighter, himself a Methodist, on that dreadful occasion.  The welcome we were given by two on duty in their chapel could not have been more friendly.

Embussing Again

So back onto a coach once more, for a long return home — it took us longer to get to Bournemouth (six hours) than another party had taken coming down from Scotland.  But then, we did have to cicumnavigate London by way of the M25.  A little tired, therefore, for mass this morning.  But some wonderful memories of seeing so many of the Ordinariate together, at the very place where our Protectress is honoured, Mary, Mother of Our Lord, Our Lady of Walsingham.  Pray  for us, Holy Mary, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Author: Fr. Edwin Barnes

Bishop Barnes read theology for three years at Oxford before finishing his studies at Cuddesdon College (at the time a theological college with a rather monastic character). He subsequently served two urban curacies in Portsmouth and Woking. During his first curacy, and after the statutory three years of celibacy, he married his wife Jane (with whom he has two children, Nicola and Matthew). In 1967, Bishop Barnes received his first incumbency as Rector of Farncombe in the Diocese of Guildford. After eleven years, the family moved to Hessle, in the Diocese of York, for another nine years as vicar. In 1987, he became Principal of St Stephen’s House, Oxford. In 1995, he was asked by then Archbishop of Canterbury, George Carey, to become the second PEV for the Province. He was based in St. Alban’s and charged with ministering to faithful Anglo-Catholics spread over the length of Southern England, from the Humber Estuary to the Channel Islands. After six years of service as a PEV, Bishop Barnes retired to Lymington on the south coast where he holds the Bishop of Winchester’s license as an honorary assistant bishop. On the retirement of the late and much lamented Bishop Eric Kemp, he was honored to be asked to succeed him as President of the Church Union. Both these appointments he resigned on becoming a Catholic in 2010. Fr. Barnes is now a priest of the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham, caring for an Ordinariate Group in Southbourne, Bournemouth.

1 thought on “Welcome in Walsingham”

Leave a Reply